SEND Inclusion Award
Strengths and Successes identified through the verification of our
SEND Inclusion Award (March 2018 ).
Leadership and Management
- The development of the SENDIA within school was been extremely thorough and the co-ordinator has been highly effective in her role.
- Effective management has involved all the staff and as a result there is a team of staff supporting the pupils in a variety of ways.
- The SENDIA framework has been used very effectively as a diagnostic tool, identifying what was already in place and areas to develop further.
- The SENDCO, supported by a highly effective pastoral support team, has both a deep understanding of the families and the barriers to learning which need to be addressed in order for the pupils to learn.
- There are robust procedures in place to ensure there is early identification of need when the pupil start at the school nursery. Support is quickly put into place to support both the family and the pupil. There are effective links with partner agencies which enhances the holistic support for the whole family.
- The Governing body is well informed about progress towards the SENDIA award.
- The governors are fully committed to developing the provision in the school and they play a very active role in the strategic development of the school.
- The leadership and management use funding effectively and the development of the Nurture Unit which involved the refurbishment of a school building demonstrates the use of monies to support and benefit the most vulnerable of pupils.
- Corpus Christi RC Primary School is an establishment where inclusion is a core principle throughout.
- The staff are very approachable and have worked hard to gain the trust of the pupils and the community. Parents and pupils are confident to ask questions and share concerns.
- Staff feel that the professional development is really tailored to their need and find training both relevant and useful.
- The school is a very welcoming place and is an organised and very effective learning environment.
- There is a lot of guidance given to the parents to help them support the children with their learning.
- Communication with the parent body is a real strength of the school. The parents appreciate how they are kept well informed by the school.
- Parents are fully involved in their children’s education and the school has provided opportunities for parents to learn more about the specific needs of their child.
- The pupils are very proud of their school and the pupils interview all had aspirations.
- There is a strong relationship between the staff and the pupils. Because of this, the pupils are not afraid to make mistakes and know they are learning in a supportive environment. One pupil stated that they could tell a teacher many times that they did not understand and the teacher would always try different ways to help them understand.